Many individuals may find themselves in the position where they need to search for court records for certain people. This can be a daunting task if you’re not sure what you’re doing or if you’re not prepared. There are 5 tips that will help you find exactly what you’re looking for and will help you find it more quickly.
1. Get as Much Information as Possible – When you’re searching for court records for a certain individual, it’s important to get as much information about that person as possible. This includes which county you’re most likely to find court records, the individual’s full name, date of birth, social security number and physical description. Every detail you gather about the individual increases the chances of you finding what you need.
2. When Using Online Search Sites – You should only use these sites if you know exactly what you’re searching for and plan on doing an advanced search. You don’t need to use these sites to do general searches of court records – you can do that for free. However, if you need specific information and you have details about the individual you’re researching, online search sites can be very helpful.
3. Find a Good Book – Investing in a helpful book can be a wonderful way to determine exactly how to find the information you need. One of the best books on the topic is ‘The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Private Investigating’ by Stephen Kerry Brown. This book explains a lot about finding information on individuals – and anyone can use the techniques inside.
4. Searching the State – If you’re unsure of which county to search in, try doing a search of the state using details about the individual you’re searching. In many cases, counties report information to the state and you’re able to find the information you need with a state search. It’s worth a try.
5. Call County Courthouse – If you’re searching for records that may go back more than seven years, you may need to put in a call to the county courthouse. You’ll need to ask them first how they record and find information in their system, as well as what you have to do to get access to the records you’re looking for.
By using these tips, you can make it easier on yourself when you need to do a court records search.